God is good

Is God really good and what does that actually mean?
The question came to me as I pondered a rash of recent
marriage engagement announcements. From early spring
through the summer, my Facebook news feed was littered with
pictures of ring-finger bling and smiling couples squeezing their
faces together in self-portraits. Many of their status updates
echoed the same sentiment: “God is good!”
I don't doubt the words, and the act of two people coming
together for the purposes of marriage in this messy world is
certainly something to celebrate. However, I wondered, if we
call God good when things go right, does it mean He’s not
good when things go wrong? If one person is hearing wedding
bells and another is served with divorce papers, has God’s
goodness changed somehow?
I immediately went to Scripture and spent some time doing a
word study on “good”. Let’s just say, the Bible has a lot of
“good” in it. Using the King James Version, Bible Gateway
found more than 700 references.
The first thing I noticed was that God is the ultimate judge of
what is good. He was the first one to declare something as
good when, in Genesis 1, He called creation into being.
Before we can label a person or situation good, we have to
look to God. And if that’s the case, then we need to look at
what God’s definition of good is. I’m sure it encompasses many
things, but here’s what I’ve learned thus far.


Comments